Friday 1 March 2013

Bill Cunningham New York, Documentary



"Let's get snappin' and crackin'"
Bill Cunningham - Bill Cunningham New York, 2011

- F.A.S.C.I.N.A.T.I.N.G -


My Bill Cunningham New York DVD image created via me & Instagram!


I've loved Dogwoof documentaries for a while now and this is a must for all fashion lovers. I can't C.A.P.T.U.R.E the raw beauty of this documentary with my words so, I will just tell you a bit about Bill Cunningham and a bit about the documentary. 

For those of you that don't know, Bill (yes we're on first name terms now) is an American photographer who cycles the streets of New York, day and night in search of E.X.Q.U.I.S.I.T.E.L.Y  dressed humans. Bill was born in 1929, currently making him the splendid age of 83 and he is still working. Respected by everyone in the fashion world this man is a true inspiration. 

Bill has been photographing people on the street since World War 2 and has always had an interest in the fantastically dressed. But it was after photographer David Montgomery gave him a camera in about 1966 that Bill began to really D.O.C.U.M.E.N.T the fashionable streets of New York. This, along with an impromptu photograph of Swedish actress Greta Garbo led him to the New York Times, where he remains   

His private life remains hugely private, leaving those who have known him for decades in the dark when it comes to his personal life. We do know though, that for most of his life he has lived in Carnegie Hall in a small room with a shared bathroom down the hallway. He B.E.L.I.E.V.E.S "money is the cheapest thing, liberty & freedom are the most expensive" and on the subject of food "the cheaper, the better". He doesn't work for money because as he says, "if you don't take money they can't tell you what to do". 

People like Bill are very few and far between, I love a rebel and I can only dream of being as happy in my life and work as Bill seems to be. He is a C.O.M.P.E.L.L.I.N.G character with such grace and kindess. One last thing, it took director Richard Press a total of 8 years to convince Bill to do this documentary which I find incredible. Watch and E.N.J.O.Y!     

All quotes from the Bill Cunningham New York, Documentary.


No comments:

Post a Comment