Wednesday 27 February 2013

Selling Dreams: Royal West of England Academy 2012



Selling Dreams & Summer Days


- I.N.T.R.I.G.U.I.N.G - 




Image not my own. Horst P.Horst, originally featured in American Vogue, 1939


Image not my own. Rankin, originally featured in Dazed & Confused, 1995


Image not my own. Rankin, originally featured in Dazed & Confused, 1996



Image not my own. Elaine Constantine, originally featured in The Face, 1997




Image not my own. Tim Walker, originally featured in Italian Vogue, 2005 



Image not my own. Steven Klein, originally featured in L'Uomo Vogue, 2006 



Image not my own. Steven Meisel, originally featured in Vogue Italia/limited edition puzzle, 2007



I was just going through an old note book and came across a load info about the 'Selling Dreams: One Hundred Years of Fashion Photography' exhibition that I went to in Bristol last year. At the time I was studying at university and looking at the images with an analytical eye. Now I can look at them with F.R.E.E.D.O.M. which makes me as happy as the '96 Rankin image should make you! (Featured 3rd on this blog post.) Above are just a few of the images exhibited at the gallery.

I will not bore you by going in depth about each image but I must point out that Horst wrote, of the iconic image (featured 1st): "It was created by emotion ... It was the last photo I took in Paris before the war ... The photograph is peculiar for me. While I was taking it, I was thinking of all I was leaving behind." Which gave me shivers down my back at the time. I didn't realise the exact history of the image until going to the exhibition. 

On a happier note... How awesome is the Elaine Constantine image? (featured 4th) It reminds me of refusing to wear shoes as a kid and then going bare foot on my bike. Then hours later as the sun was going down, I would return home with grazed toes and a half melted Mr Freeze ice pop! S.U.M.M.E.R  D.A.Y.S!


No comments:

Post a Comment